About the A4BD project
A4BD is an Erasmus+ project that aims to develop a database of astronomical objects and special software to enable the visually impaired to get in touch with the science of astronomy.
The database will include photographs of astronomical objects (planets, nebulae, galaxies, etc.) sorted according to their specific characteristics to allow analysis and their representation by special software for the visually impaired. The special software will convert astronomical images into sounds that will allow the user not only to study astronomy but to grasp the beauty of the astronomical image as he could not do visually.
In order to achieve this goal, the consortium will include institutions for the education of persons with disabilities who will contribute to their experience, while the University of Patras, as technical and project coordinator, will develop the special software.
The astronomical object database will contain classified astronomical images. The classification of the astronomical images will be analyzed and categorized in such a way as to identify their main visual components that will be transformed into sound signals and which will form the basis of the educational process for which the software will be used.
Astronomy-to-audio conversion software will be provided as freeware to the global educational community. Its tablet and touch screen operation will consist of interaction with touch-sensitive use. As the user touches the various parts of the astronomical image, different sounds will represent its shape, color and other basic elements.
- Equal opportunities in the education of astronomy science at basic level.
- Equal opportunities for the perception of the universe and the inspiration that astronomy has been giving for thousands of years in art, philosophy and science.
- Possibility to simultaneously study and enjoy astronomical images with friends and family as the software developed can be used simultaneously visually and aurally.
- Three short-term educational events to be held at the headquarters of the Partner Coordinator, University of Patras.
- Five educational exchanges of students and teachers in France, Spain, Latvia, Cyprus and Poland.
- Two participations in innovation and technology exhibitions where the results of the project will be presented.
- Three short curricula in Latvia, Cyprus and Poland.
- A conference to disseminate the project’s results and technical works to the project’s themes.
A4BD project partners
A4BD Intellectual Outputs
O1: Astronomical Objects Data Base
Duration: 01/09/2017 – 31/08/2018
O2: Software for aural interpretation of astronomical images
Duration: 01/02/2018 – 31/08/2019
O3: Remote observation website for disabled people
Duration: 01/09/2018 – 31/08/2020
Learning, Teaching and Training Activities
Short-term joint staff training events (Adult Education)
- C1: Kickoff meeting in Patras, Greece
5-9 February 2018
- C4: Mid-project evaluation meeting in Patras, Greece
18-22 February 2019
- C8: Final project closure meeting in Patras, Greece
Planned for August 2020
Short-term exchanges of groups of pupils (School Education)
- C2: La Réunion, France
10-14 September 2018
- C3: Sanlúcar, Spain
10-14 December 2018
- C5: Latvia
Planned for September 2019
- C6: Cyprus
Planned for January 2020
- C7: Poland
Planned for July 2020
E1 & E2: Expo Participations
Participation in annual science and technology exhibition of Patras called “PatrasIQ”. E1 took place in April 2019 and E2 is planned for April 2020.
E4, E5 & E6: Training Curricula
The training will be organized by project partners in Latvia, Poland and Cyprus.
E3: Closing Conference
The conference will be hosted by the University of Patras and all partners will be represented and will also invite national stakeholders. Special workshops regarding the exploitation of specific project outcomes will be included in the conference. The outcome of the conference will be published.
A4BD Project news
The kick-off meeting in Patras included a day trip to nearby Ancient Olympia. Participants from all partners had the chance to explore one of the world's most important archaeological sites, the birthplace of the ancient Olympic Games.
The Project Kick-off meeting began in Patras on February 6th, 2018. The kick-off meeting will serve for project partners to get to know each other, plan the intellectual outputs and training activities as well as all detailed related to the management and financing of...
National Agency IKY
Start date: 1 September 2017
End date: 31 August 2020